The McNutt House was built in 1840. It originally had only two rooms downstairs and two rooms upstairs. The foundation consists of fifteen-inch hickory sill logs.
Dr. Robert B. McNutt bought the house on October 8, 1847 for $200 in a courthouse sale. Dr. McNutt was the only medical doctor between Kanawha Courthouse (now Charleston, WV) and Bristol, VA.
Dr. McNutt was the co-founder of Princeton Savings Bank, the only financial lending institution in town.
Princeton was burned by 300 Rebel defenders under the command of Captain Walter Jenifer as they fled the Union advance. The McNutt House is the only remaining Civil War Era home in Princeton.
The McNutt House was used as headquarters for Lieutenant Colonel Rutherford B. Hayes and Sargent William McKinley, both later Ohio Governors and U.S. Presidents.
The house was used as a hospital during May 1862.
Dr. McNutt's son, Dr. Joseph McNutt, joined his father's practice after the Civil War.
Post-war renovations included a one-story addition onto the end of the house which was used as the doctor's office. Later renovations included running water, electricity, additional rooms and the beautiful half-spiral staircase.
The house was purchased in 1997 by the H.P. and Anne S. Hunnicutt Foundation, in conjunction with the Princeton Old Town Foundation.
It was listed on the National Register of Historical Places on July 25, 2001.
The McNutt House is one of the two office locations for The Chamber of Commerce of the Two Virginias.
1522 North Walker Street
Princeton, WV 24740
JoAnna M. Fredeking, Docent